17. Excel Tips - Date formatting - Show the day of the week
Today's tip is a quick one as I am feeling lazy, but it's a useful one none the less.
- By formatting dates in a certain way, you can display the day of the week, and not using much space.
Select A1, and press CTRL + ;
(this gives you today's date)
Right click => format cells => custom
type: ddd dd-mmm-yy
For today, you get:
- this is my favourite date format for the following reasons:
1. the "08" is all you need in this century
2. Sat = day of week
3. 27-Dec => it's completely unambiguous and much better than infuriating American date format of: 12/27/2008 (mm/dd/yyyy), as you will find out when it's the 2nd Jan (01/02/2009)... or is it the 1st of Feb ?!
[End of rant]
; - P
Video training on Date formatting: